Thursday, December 31, 2009

Discovering Laie


For anyone who looks at this blog- which is probably only people I have regular contact with anyway- I recently was admitted into the BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) program here at BYU-Hawaii. I have been waiting on this for a while- and I'm really excited that I got it. I will still be majoring in 2 dimensional art (painting mostly) but the Fine Arts status is just a bit better than the Bachelor of Arts. Well...I mean you have to apply with a portfolio, but you get to present a senior show. To my point: I have been thinking about what I want to do as a theme for my senior show. The other day while I was walking around taking pictures and drawing I had an idea of what I wanted to do...let me preface this by saying that its in the beginning stages of course, and also I have to get approval from my professor/mentor before doing so.
I want to do a walking tour of Laie. Maybe not walking, I don't know, I'll probably change that, but something of a travel log, or illustrative essay on Laie as a town. I'm going to ask my professor about this though, because I don't want to do something that one hundred other people have done. I've been seeing a lot of flowers and tropical plants lately. LOTS. Which I love but I want to do something different. I'm doing a combination of photographs, drawings and several large paintings. I want to post them up in a sort of story-board/collage/travel log kind of way. And I want people looking at it to say "oh hey, I live there" or "I walk past that all the time".

I will be posting more of this over the coming months- hopefully. I've decided even if I don't do this as my senior show, that I will still work on it as a personal project. I feel that, among lots of other things, it's a good way to connect with this beautiful place that I live.

So without further ado, the first installment of my visual discovery of Laie.








1 comment:

  1. Very informative and helpful. I was searching for this information but there are very limited resources. Thank you for providing this information

    Illustrative Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete